Applying Edging Strips to Laminate Kitchen Countertops: A Worktop Express® Nutshell Guide
Each of our laminate worktops comes with at least one fully-finished side that has either a square-edge, a 3mm or 6mm smooth edge profile.
When installing your kitchen worktops, it is likely that you will need to apply laminate edging strip to at least one additional edge of your worktop. Some our worktops come supplied with edging strip included, though how many you will need depends on how many sides will be on show – should you wish to create a breakfast bar, it is likely you will need to purchase additional edging.
Edging strip can be applied either before or after installation, although – to avoid damage or having to re-finish any of the edges – we would suggest you apply it once the worktop has been cut to size and fitted in place.
Fitting edging strips to Laminate Kitchen Countertops
- First, ensure that the edges you wish to finish are flat and free from dust or debris.
- Cover the surface of the worktop with masking tape, to protect it from any excess adhesive.
- Apply PVA adhesive – or an appropriate contact adhesive – along the edge of the exposed composite fibreboard.
- Place the edging strip over the adhesive and clamp in place whilst the glue dries. We recommend using a 3-way clamp for this task.
- Once firmly affixed, cut the strip to size and remove any excess using a laminate trimmer or a sharp carpenter’s plane.
- Use a fine-toothed file on the edge of the strip until it is flush with the worktop. You may also want to use fine sandpaper to create a perfectly smooth finish.
- Take great care to ensure you do not remove too much of the strip, as you may expose the fibreboard, which looks messy and leaves the laminate core vulnerable to moisture ingress.
If you are using laminate worktops either side of a free-standing cooker, you may want to consider using metal strips instead. These can be screwed into the fibreboard and will protect the laminate from excess heat radiated from the appliance.
Additional laminate edging strips can be purchased on our website. If you are doing a DIY installation and are not confident that you will be able to complete the above process successfully, why not take advantage of our professional edging strip application service? You can read more about this service on our laminate worktops customisation page.