“Are Worktop Upstands or Tiles Better for Using with Solid Wood Worktops?” Question of the Week 21.01.17
“Are Worktop Upstands or Tiles Better for Using with Solid Wood Worktops?”
Our chosen ‘Question of the Week’ was this week emailed in by Anjit in Wolverhampton, who is planning a kitchen refurbishment, but wants to know whether we recommend using upstands instead of tiles alongside solid wood worktops.
“I have planned my kitchen carefully and intended to use tiles above the worktops, but I notice that on your website you recommend the use of a matching upstand. Why is this?”
Thank you for sending in your query. We are happy to help clear this up for you and ensure you make the right decision for your kitchen refurbishment.
The choice between tiling all the way down to your new wooden work surface or fitting matching worktop upstands does partly come down to personal preference, though upstands are highly recommended for a number of reasons:
- Worktop upstands are ideal for hiding the necessary expansion gap which is required between a worktop and an adjacent wall. We recommend that this expansion gap is three to five millimetres, which may not be hidden neatly by all tiles.
- Upstands are a perfect choice for walls that are not perfectly straight, helping to hide any irregularities that may be more obvious on a tiled wall.
- Our matching upstands help to blend the worktop seamlessly into the kitchen by extending the edge of the timber beyond the surface and onto the wall.
- Solid wood upstands provide an extra measure of protection by acting as a ‘barrier’ to help prevent moisture from building up behind your kitchen worktops.
- Our wooden upstands are made from the same high-quality timber as our wooden worktops, making them a slick and visually appealing choice.
The only part of a kitchen in which we would not recommend using upstands is behind gas or electric hobs. Being in such close proximity to a heat source can cause the natural hardwood to warp or crack. In this location we would recommend tiles or a splashback to reflect heat and protect the wall instead.
If you would like to learn more about installing an upstand, we recommend reading our ‘How to Install Upstands for Matching Solid Wood Kitchen Work Surfaces’ information guide.
To see many of our wooden upstands installed alongside matching worktops, why not visit one of the Worktop Express showrooms? We have a number of showrooms located across the UK, each of which is home to a plethora of demonstration kitchens.
Don’t hesitate to contact us again if you need any further assistance.
Ben @ Worktop Express
Do you have a question that you would like us to answer? Ask us now on , or send us a message.