How to Install Hotrods in Solid Laminate Worktops
A contemporary alternative to trivets, hotrods are well suited to solid laminate worktops. There are two ways to install hotrods in solid laminate worktops – we explain how in this information guide.
Hotrods are easy to install in solid laminate worktops on site if you have the correct equipment. You will need:
- Hotrod jig
- 63.5 x 12.7mm ball-nosed router cutter
- Electric hand-held router
- 2 x G clamps
- 30mm router guide bush
- Protective goggles
- Danish oil
- Before you start, make sure that the solid laminate worktop is supported properly and securely.
- Place the hotrod jig onto the surface of the worktop in your preferred location and orientation. Clamp the jig securely using the G clamps.
- Set the router depth to 6mm.
- Turn the router on, ensuring you keep the cable clear of the jig. Please do not turn the router on whilst it is in contact with the worktop.
- For the diamond formation, pass the router along the longest cut-out in the jig. Do the same for each of the shorter cut-outs.
- Rotate the jig 180 degrees and position it so that the longest groove is in line with the longest cut-out in the jig. Clamp to secure and cut the final two grooves.
- For the straight formation, pass the router along the longest cut-out in the jig. Turn the router off, reposition and cut to create another groove.
- Repeat until you have four equidistant grooves.
- To prevent water ingress, apply three coats of Danish Oil to each groove. Allow them to dry between coats.
- Place the hotrods into the grooves.
After the Cuts
Our Online Bespoke Worktop Tool gives you an easier way to add hotrods in solid laminate worktops. Once in the tool, select a solid laminate worktop swatch and a standard size before pressing the confirm button to continue.
- In the tool menu down the left-hand side, select the hotrods tool – the third icon from the bottom.
- Select either diamond or straight formation and then press proceed. You will notice a hotrod template appear on your worktop.
- Drag it into position by hovering your cursor over the hotrod template – it will turn yellow. Click and hold and then drag it to where you require it. You will also notice a small black circle. This allows you to rotate your hotrods template.
- When you are happy with the layout, press the green ‘Place Order’ button in the top left of the screen.
This is all of the information that you need to successfully install hotrods in solid laminate worktops. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
You Might Also Find This Guide Useful: