A Guide to Connecting Extra-Wide Worktops
When you purchase our 3m x 1240mm worktops, the item will come as two separate pieces that will need to be joined prior to installation. Our fabrication team will do the hard work for you, so when your extra-wide worktop arrives, installation is as simple as possible. Each 3m x 620mm piece of the work surface will have bolt recesses (also known as ‘dog bones’ due to their shape) routed into the underside to accommodate the worktop connector bolts, along with apertures for biscuits in the connecting sides. This minimises the work that needs to be done to join the worktop together ready for fitting. Your worktop will be delivered including everything needed to join the two pieces together too.
To connect your extra-wide worktop, simply follow the instructions below.
Before you begin, you need to make sure you have enough room and sufficient support for joining both pieces. We recommend using woodworking trestles to support the worktop. Prepare all of the required tools in advance.
- Apply PVA glue (D3 or D4 grade) to the edges of both pieces, including the biscuit slots.
- Insert the supplied biscuits into the slots on one piece of the worktop.
- Join both pieces of worktop together. You may need to use a hammer to tap the worktops into place, but remember to use a wooden block to prevent any damage to the edges of the joined worktops. Sash clamps can also be used to pull both pieces together.
- Insert worktop bolts into each of the recesses on the underside of the worktop. Using a 10mm spanner, tighten the bolts to pull both pieces firmly together.
- Using a cloth, clean any glue excess from the joint surfaces before it dries.
- When the glue is dry, additional sanding with orbital sander may be required to achieve a completely flush joint. We recommend using a 150 grit sanding disc.
Your 1240mm worktop will be colour matched to ensure that it has the appearance of a single surface.