Floating Shelves: A Worktop Express® Nutshell Guide
Our floating shelves are made of high-quality timber and are designed to be both aesthetically pleasing and hard-wearing. The following information will help you install the shelves safely and with minimal fuss; and we’ve also included the answers to some frequently asked questions at the end, for your convenience.
- Masonry drill / drill with hammer function
- 10mm masonry drill bit
- Spirit level & pencil
- Tape measure
- Masking Tape
- Adjustable spanner
Mounting the Shelf
- First place masking tape on the wall to mark the position at which you are planning to position your new shelf. Make sure the strip is wide enough to allow you to properly mark the wall.
- Using the spirit level mark a straight line across the masking tape with your pencil.
- Using your tape measure, find the centre points of the holes on the rear of the shelf. Note the position of these points by marking on your previously-drawn line.
- Prepare your drill with the 10mm masonry drill bit, and (after donning eye-protection), drill a hole of 70mm deep at each point marked. Make sure the drill is straight and that you apply even pressure when drilling.
- Insert the plastic wall plugs provided with the bracket into the holes you’ve drilled, and push in to the wall until flush.
- Put the washer on to the screw-end of the shelf bracket, and then screw the brackets in to the holes, using a spanner to tighten them sufficiently.
- Using your spirit level, make sure that the brackets are pointing out of the wall horizontally, so that you can be sure your shelf will sit in a level position.
- Now you’re ready to push the shelf on to the brackets. Take care, and check once more with the spirit level to ensure that your shelf is flat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What timbers do you offer?
We stock a wide range of timbers including oak, walnut, beech, ash, black oak, and also offer a painted oak option in New White by Farrow & Ball. What’s more, we can fabricate custom shelves from any of the timbers that we offer in worktop form. Please do get in touch to discuss your bespoke requirements.
Are your timbers sustainable?
Our solid wood shelves are made from timber that has been logged from forests with established replanting programmes, and which adheres to all legal regulations (such as the EUTR, for European timbers). A dedication to sustainability is fundamental to our ethos, and we visit our suppliers every three months to ensure that our high environmental standards are being met. All worktops – whether these are constructed from African, American or European timbers – are manufactured within Europe.
What finishes do you offer?
With the exception of our painted oak shelves, all of our shelving is pre-oiled as standard, but we can provide items unfinished (simply sanded) if you would prefer to apply another finish prior to installation (wax or varnish, for example).
Can you design and produce bespoke shelves?
If you are looking for something a bit different, our expert fabrication team can produce wooden shelving to your exact specification. Feel free to contact us to get a quote, no matter what your requirements.
What brackets do I need?
Each shelf is supplied with the brackets necessary for each size. 300mm and 600mm come with two floating shelf brackets, 900mm and 1200mm come with 3 brackets, and 1500mm shelves are provided with 4 brackets. For larger bespoke shelves we may suggest extra brackets or additional support battens.
How much weight can the brackets support?
Our shelves can support up to 35KG, though we do recommend an extra wood batten for additional support if the shelves are going to be used to store heavier items. This batten can be provided at an extra cost – please contact us if you think one may be required.
Do you sell samples?
Yes: the timbers used in our shelves are exactly the same as those that we utilise for worktops, so please feel free to order a worktop sample before purchasing a shelf. Please note, however, that our sample refund offer only applies to worktop orders: worktop samples cannot be refunded against shelf orders.
Can your shelves be installed to a stud wall?
If you know where the timber studs are in your wall, then shelves can be made so that the mounting brackets line up with these stud points. As this will require bespoke fabrication, an extra charge may be applied – contact the fabrication team to discuss your needs.
How much is postage?
We do not charge postage on our solid wood shelving, but use a reputable courier to deliver these items to you on a next day service (if ordered before 12 noon).
For information on installing our solid wood shelving, please refer to our installation instructions.
Buy Solid Wood Floating Shelves from Worktop Express:
Please note:This guide was originally posted on 26th June 2014 and has been updated to include additional information. The most recent update was on 5th January 2018.