Your solid wood worktop is made from natural materials and as such a little ‘tender loving care’ goes a long way. Here are some quick, easy-to-follow pointers that will help you keep your worktop in prime condition:
- Regular oiling is necessary for your worktop. We suggest utilising Rustins Danish Oil for DIY worktops, and applying at least 4-5 initial coats to build up sufficient protection (the end grains will require a greater number of applications). You’ll only require a small amount of oil: spread this evenly over the timber and leave it to soak for 30 minutes. Wipe away excess oil and leave to dry overnight. Repeat this process – the more layers you apply in these early stages, the better protection your worktop will have.
- During the first few weeks of its life (once installed, that is), your worktop will be particularly vulnerable to damage. Please take extra care with its use and don’t leave liquids to sit on the surface for any extended time; this will stain your worktop and can cause the timber to split.
- To maintain the protective barrier, we recommend oiling DIY worktops once a week for 6-8 weeks and then every 8-12 weeks thereafter, or whenever you feel it is necessary (pre-oiled worktops should be oiled once a month). If water forms into droplets on the work surface, there’s sufficient protection; if this is no longer the case, or the surface looks dull or worn down, re-oiling will be necessary. However, in an ideal world we’d recommend that you do not let your worktop reach this stage.
- To clean your worktops, mix a small amount of soap with warm water. With a lint-free cloth, wipe over the surface, paying careful attention to any particularly stained or dirty areas. Dry using a separate, clean cloth. Avoid multi-purpose cleaning products which contain chemicals that could damage your worktop.
- Do not allow any hot, wet, or dirty items to come into direct contact with your worktop – this will cause staining and damage. We recommend purchasing one of our stainless steel worktop hot rod sets to create a convenient pan stand, which will safeguard your worktop at the same time.
We pride ourselves on the quality of the worktops provided here at Worktop Express® and wish to offer all the help we can to our customers; our aim is to make it easy for you to maintain your worktop’s excellent condition.
If you have any questions about our products and recommended maintenance processes, please do not hesitate to contact us or consult our selection of information guides and FAQS at www.worktop-express.co.uk.
Please note: this guide was updated on 27th October 2014 to reflect recent changes to the products utilised in our pre-oiling process. For more information on the changes, please visit our Improvements to our Pre-Oiling Service for Wooden Worktops blog post.